Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Todo Sushi's sushi

Hi friends, I am here to rave about the sushi at Todo Sushi, a little Japanese sushi bar hidden away in a small corner of the middle of nowhere in San Diego. Oh also, did I mention that almost all the rolls are perpetually 50% off? Well, now I did.

Todo's specialty are sushi rolls (not unlike most of the Japanese restaurants in the area), but these rolls are of a higher class than its counterparts (I'm thinking of Nozomi's, Yoshi's, etc). It also serves regular food (bento boxes, etc), but I've never ordered them before. The ingredients are fresh and the sushi chefs are quite ingenious in their ability to meld different flavors together so that there is a 24/7 party happening inside your mouth.

My personal favorite roll is called...wait for it, the Sensual Pleasure Roll. Yes, there were many jokes to be made by our immature selves. Aptly named though, the pleasure you feel in your mouth really is quite sensual indeed. Spicy scallop, cucumbers, spicy tuna on top, and the finishing touch is a pale orange sauce drizzled on top. I have no idea how this orange sauce is made, but it's amazing. Like I said, sensual pleasure in your mouth.


Another roll is the Tuna Tatake roll: a regular CA roll topped with tuna tataki. Tataki is a method of preparing fish or meat. According to Wikipedia, the meat or fish is seared very briefly over a hot flame or pan, briefly marinated in vinegar, sliced thinly and seasoned with ginger. I'm not sure if this is how Todo does it, but it's delicious. This is saying something because I am not a big fan of raw fish (I'm trying to learn to appreciate it, but haven't made much progress so far). The first time I tasted it, my eyes lit up and I said "Mmm, this is really good!" Wonderful.


They have many more rolls that I enjoy: baby lobster crunch roll, regular lobster crunch roll (there is a difference in taste), spicy tiger roll, so on and so forth. The first 2 are unfortunately not 50% off (making them around $13-14), but it's worth it to get them at least once.

OH. And a note about the sushi chefs - they're really nice. The first time I went in, I sat at the sushi bar and one of the chefs made us a stuffed jalopeno appetizer and cut up an orange very nicely for dessert. So nice! So...sit at the bar if you want free stuff!
(Note: free stuff is not guaranteed)



9823 Carroll Canyon Rd
San Diego, CA 92131
(Tucked in the plaza behind Carl's Junior)

Yelp

No comments:

Post a Comment